Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JosAH

Thread: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

  1. #1
    Xen
    Xen is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    It is pretty clear from the likes of this that it is not a voluntary position.

    Nevertheless, it is not relevant now. I wrote a whole piece of text here but decided to hold back from posting. However, since you've responded yourself I'll share some of it.

    I wrote:

    What you fail to realize is that if I had had to write it in English, I probably wouldn't have written it at all. People don't have to go out of their way for you you know, and usually don't. So it is not a question of what language I would use (in this particular instance) but more whether I would have posted anything at all. (...).

    In general what I find on here is that the reputation of people or the feelings of other people (and there are only a few regulars here, maybe 4) are more important than the people who ask questions or the answers that are being given. It seems and it feels like your interests or sensitivities far outweigh actual help being offered or things being possible.

    We are constantly threatened here with being banned if we do this or that wrong (by the "forum police") and everything that might be 'off' is a reason to be suspect and object to anything that is going on or that is done.

    I've now been criticized for
    • Writing a second answer in a thread where a first answer has already been given.
    • Posting an informative thread in a questions forum that hadn't seen a new post or thread in 10 months.
    • Speaking or writing in Dutch
    • Of course, using a "forbidden word" or a word composed of stars/asterixs, that was supposed to have been "offensive".
    • And probably more. Oh yeah, even been criticised for providing an answer to someone. When the intention was to force him to look it up himself.


    I really don't know what this is about, this forum. I do my best and provide a lot of input but it is not really valued all that much. You'd think you'd be happy with new blood but you'd ban me just as such. (...).

    But if you keep this up I'll soon be gone, whether I like that or not. Either banned, or I will have left. That is just the way it goes.....

    Sorry about that, but I can't help that. I need to express myself and I will do it wherever I can. I really have no reason to accept demands placed on me by police everywhere. (...).

    I will say that there are people in the streets of Rotterdam who are offended by foreigners speaking foreign languages on the streets. It is seriously a political issue.

    =========================
    So yeah. I regret it but.

    What can I say? You people leave me little choice but to leave. So be it then. Bye, I guess.

  2. #2
    jim829 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    6,226
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: not-unique keys in hashmap possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I've now been criticized for:

    Writing a second answer in a thread where a first answer has already been given
    Nope. I criticized you for explaining my answer. You said you did so because you didn't think the OP could understand it. Yet in a later thread, you accused me of treating the posters like stupid people. Quite often, folks post duplicate answers or couch their answers in different terms. But they don't try to explain someone else's answer that the OP has yet to say they don't understand. There is a difference.

    Posting an informative thread in a questions forum that hadn't seen a new post or thread in 10 months.
    I was trying to be helpful. This is a forum for questions. Not unsolicited tutorials or experiences . The blogs are a good place for that.


    Speaking or writing in Dutch
    Unfortunately I am monolinguistic. So I can't benefit from answers in other languages. This forum is an English language forum. Answers are not just meant for the person asking the question. They are to benefit future visitors to the forum.


    Of course, using a "forbidden word" or a word composed of stars/asterixs, that was supposed to have been "offensive".
    Bad language (swearing and the like) is banned from the forum. It is in the forum rules.


    And probably more. Oh yeah, even been criticized for providing an answer to someone. When the intention was to force him to look it up himself.
    Too many times folks come here and ask questions without searching the forums or searching the internet. The intent is to try and get them to develop the skills to find the answer themselves. Usually, that means reading the tutorials, reading a book, or doing an internet search. So what would you do if 5 different people in the course of a month ask the same question? It's happened. Would you explain it all over to them or provide a link to your first explanation (and tell them a forum search might have yielded the answer)?

    Everyone who participates in this forum is a volunteer. We do it simply because we like programming (Java in particular) and like helping folks learn. But there are rules and guidelines which must be followed.

    Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by jim829; 08-08-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    The JavaTM Tutorials | SSCCE | Java Naming Conventions
    Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part

  3. #3
    DarrylBurke's Avatar
    DarrylBurke is offline Forum Police
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madgaon, Goa, India
    Posts
    12,059
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    The above two posts were removed from http://www.java-forums.org/new-java/...-possible.html

    db
    If you're forever cleaning cobwebs, it's time to get rid of the spiders.

  4. #4
    Xen
    Xen is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: not-unique keys in hashmap possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jim829 View Post
    Nope. I criticized you for explaining my answer. You said you did so because you didn't think the OP could understand it. Yet in a later thread, you accused me of treating the posters like stupid people. Quite often, folks post duplicate answers or couch their answers in different terms. But they don't try to explain something else's answer that the OP has yet to say they don't understand. There is a difference.
    It was pretty clear how hard it was to understand by how terse it was. You don't have to be some super genius to see that. What reason is there to wait? The opportunity is now to clarify to expand. In this way I am building upon your answer to get something better. That seems to be the process of open source in general and of cultural progress in any case. If you hadn't answered, I would have given the same answer without reference to you. It would have been disrespectul to have completely ignored you now that you had answered. So I had to include you in my reply. I couldn't give my answer (which was basically the same, of course, because there is only one answer to that simple question) in any other way without being a complete duplicate. But I came there to give an answer in any case, and a more lengthy one at that, regardless of what you had written. It would have been silly to walk away because "Oh, someone has beat me to it" as if this is a competition or a race, and apparently you treat it so.

    That is the gist of your complaint. This is a competition and you thought you was the winner and now you feel like I cheated you by providing a better (or more expansive) answer while you were first. Mine!.

    I have experienced many times in my life that my secondary answer (mostly in real life, I mean, also) was helpful to another, and just as many times that when another chimed in when I had said something, it was also helpful. When two people say the same thing in different ways, it adds to the understanding. People do this naturally and often. It just happens. You just seem to have a problem with it because you want to be number one and only.

    It is only about you and not about the content or the OP. I must admit I like feeling helpful as well, and I suggest I may have the same feelings as you do, but nevertheless it would have been impertinent and worthless to just walk away in defeat and think "Oh, bummer, he beat me to it, better go do something else." I have never before, by the way, experienced any forum where there was a competition between answer-givers.

    In real life it happens all the time, and people do not wait before the other person (the target of the explanation) has asked for clarification, because non-verbal body language does the same thing. Now in this case there is no body language at all, but from real and deep experience you can know what someone's inner reaction is going to be. It is called people-knowledge (at least in Dutch :P).

    I was trying to be helpful. This is a forum for questions. Not unsolicited tutorials or experiences . The blogs are a good place for that.
    That was not helpful. That was hateful. You're basically telling me to pick up my bags and go elsewhere. You're saying "you know, the street will also be a good place for you. The door is that direction." You're shoving me out. Can you not even imagine how it feels to have those words directed at you?

    Who told you that "this" is a forum for "questions"? What does it matter? Internet forums are known as discussion forums. In various subforums here the word "discussions" is used. And what the f does it matter? Are you not just defending your own interests here? You seem to have a lot. Who told you that this is no place for "unsolicited tutorials or experiences"? Is there a forum rule against that? Nope, there is not. There is also not a description of its intended purpose, nor does it make sense. All forums are alike. They are places where you can ask questions and write and experiences or offer discussions. I have never ever been told that I could not make an informative thread somewhere. You seem to be a lot of jealous though, all the time. You are jealous when someone writes a better answer. You are jealous when someone gets a thread for himself. It's not very pretty. And I already explained to you and it is clear as night and day at the same time, that the "blogs" are the most unwelcome place you could offer. I already told you that it would not be suited for a time-dispersed, ongoing thread of experiences. You cannot add to a blog!. So where is the helpfulness factor? You just don't want me to have this thing.

    I will repeat. You are jealous and you do not want me to have this thing.

    So you will "help" me by suggesting that I go elsewhere that is worse than what I have now, and you know it as well.

    Unfortunately I am monolinguistic. So I can't benefit from answers in other languages. This forum is an English language forum. Answers are not just meant for the person asking the question. They are to benefit future visitors to the forum.
    I am bilingual but that doesn't mean a thing and I wouldn't be able to read arabic either. But there are multiple Dutch persons here, so it is not as unwarranted. My answer was foremost meant to help the person in question. I don't think you can decide for me what my answer is intended for, nor do you have a right to decide my contribution. So again, you're being selfish. It's only about you, you, you. It's constantly about you. It's about how you can't benefit. You don't even care about the OP. Even if I did write in English, which I couldn't have, not this answer, because a Dutch person's mind is linked to a Dutch person's mind and the information flows out much more rapidly, the benefit to you would still be insignificant to the benefit to the OP, since the OP is the one who has the prime interest in hearing the question answered. I don't hear you saying "Ooh, I'm interested as well" or "I would really love to read that in English, it seems interesting" or ANYTHING of that kind so it is just a principal position you are taking and not any sense of real concern you have. That you are missing out.

    In any case, it was impossible for me to write in English. I did not have the interest to do so and I still don't. I'm not going to do stuff here that I don't want to do. I don't write books I don't want to write, and I don't write answers I do not want to give. The language was in this case an intrinstic part of why I wanted to write it in the first place. It was also the joy of seeing a fellow Dutchman and someone who is doing something I have done in the past. It was to ensure we can meet each other and maybe have a bit of friendly intercourse (connection). I know it would produce in him a great pleasure :).

    But no you are only concerned you are missing out on something. If you felt so compelled, by all means do a Google translate. But you don't and you won't, because you are not even interested. Maybe you can't understand how it is to write in a foreign language. No matter how much I have written in English in my life, it is always harder on the mind, because I am wired in a Dutch way, so to speak.

    I could, for instance, never have therapy/conversation therapy in English. I tried it. Didn't work.

    When you meet a fellow Dutchman it is a great pleasure but the pleasure can only be received or experienced by speaking our mutual language. He is even coding in Dutch. What is to you just a piece of non-important information can be to us a meeting of likeminded souls. Would you deny that to us?

    And would you say your interests are so extremely important that it supersedes two persons trying to meet each other? Not long ago the "channel police" of an IRC channel on Linux software caused me to lose the chance to meet a really nice guy. You people are constantly doing that, ruining chances for your own benefit. Jealousy, all the way.

    Me and him were just chatting a bit after having newly met, taking it off straight away. We hit it off, so to speak. We were almost instantly told to take it to the "offtopic" channel. This killed the conversation and the personal topic we were talking about (programming, in this case). We kept on talking but it never got as good as it was in the beginning.

    Now I haven't spoken to him for months. It was all on IRC and those people kept bugging me and telling me to shut up.

    You can easily kill a chance encounter and jealous people do it all the time.

    And now you have done so again, or tried to do so in any case. Not that you were involved, but you are defending the views. And you can say there are rules but that means chicken poo. Rules are used by people for their own interests. They are not holy. They are tools of the powerful.

    Bad language (swearing and the like) is banned from the forum. It is in the forum rules.
    That doesn't make it right, nor does it make it good. Those forum rules didn't come flying out of thin air and they were devised by people, who cannot go and hide behind them, but which they often do to relinquish responsibility for their choices in having created them and keeping to uplift them and live them out.

    And just because you are enforcing a rule, doesn't make it less disrespectful, and less demeaning to the people that it is used against.

    And it doesn't absolve you of your responsibilities as a human being in being good to each other. And if I have a problem with those rules, I may do so (and I may have so). You are not my father and you are not god and if you thnk you can get away with treating me like that all the time without me leaving you are mistaken.

    This is not some holy forum and there are other places to visit where perhaps people are nicer and more respectful of individual freedom and expressiveness. In the end the rules are irrelevant, it is about people. I care about people, not about rules. You seem to care more about rules than anything else and there are many like you. I call them rule-fornicators. They stick their pointy things in them.

    Good luck with that.

    Too many times folks come here and ask questions without searching the forums or searching the internet. The intent is to try and get them to develop the skills to find the answer themselves. Usually, that means reading the tutorials, reading a book, or doing an internet search.
    I know that was your intent and it is deeply mistaken, because they already have those skills, and that is not it. You are mistaken about the path of most effectiveness of those people for finding their answers in the most efficient fashion. I wrote in the posts that DB has deleted that you are mistaken in believing that the average person coming here doesn't have the required Google skills. That is just mistaken. Just because he doesn't use or she doesn't use those skills at that time doesn't mean he/she doesn't have them.

    That is your mistake. The truth is that the user chooses not to entertain it. You conclude that he doesn't have it, because you can't fathom why he would choose not to use it if he did have it. So subsequently you are going to try to fill that gap by providing the conditions required for developing that skill. And you are mistaken. Mistaken, mistaken, mistaken. You are not seeing the person for who he/she is.

    In Japanese they would say chigau!. That's 違う. Look, a bad word! It's not English! Now shoot me! :P.

    By the way I will cite it again:

    Too many times folks come here and ask questions without searching the forums or searching the internet.
    That is a truism of the internet and you can't fix that. It's all in your perception anyway. You cannot 'educate' those people and the problem is not in them but in your felt obligation to answer them when you don't really feel like it. It's because you're on the forum in a certain role or capacity with certain duties coming with that. Only a person who feels it is "work" to answer those questions can make such a statement.

    Usually, that means reading the tutorials, reading a book, or doing an internet search.
    When I didn't get my answers here (about Maven) I ordered a book (printed copy) because it would be more effective and efficient that way. Ordering a book is usually not the first step you take. There are always (or normally) friendly people who are willing to answer your questions first. And besides, it is not for you to judge what someone else does.

    That's your illusion.

    So what would you do if 5 different people in the course of a month ask the same question? It's happened. Would you explain it all over to them or provide a link to your first explanation (and tell them a forum search might have yielded the answer)?
    Look. Searching forum threads is tiresome. With StackExchange/StackOverflow dominating Google results, even Google queries have become tiresome. It is more tiresome than you answering a question (or anyone else that wants to). Besides, many times you feel like you want to have real contact with a real person. Being on forums and asking questions is as much about human interaction and contact and communciation and belonging as it is about getting the answers.

    In the recent week(s) I have read a book on Maven. I have read a sci-fi novel. I have read the manual of Log4J2. I have read an Ant tutorial and followed it and constructed my buildfile as you have seen. I must have done at least a 100 or maybe even 150 google queries in the recent weeks. I think I do at least 20-30 a day, or even more. It was tough for me to get going with Ant and Maven, really troublesome. It was tough for me to boot up Netbeans and to get it going. Really.

    Offtopic: you know what is tiresome to me? Having to reinstall Windows (or Linux) and doing all that configuration from scratch again and you end up installing the same programs over and over and doing the same configuration over and over. And it just takes so much time and so much work. And I just want to have my basic configuration back with my basic programs and not have to worry about that.

    And I do all that work on reading stuff and I still feel the need to come here (or elsewhere) to engage with humans for a bit of friendly interaction, and often (sometimes) it is by asking a question.

    Answering a question would fall in the same category for me.

    And the same applies to people coming here to ask questions. It is not worth it to them to go do a forum search (of all things) or another google query. They want to relax their mind because they may been googling all day, so they are asking for some help.

    Yes, that's what they're doing! They are asking for help! Not to do it on their own again. To get helped! They are tired and they want someone else to do a thing for them. To answer a question. They request help. It energizes them and it normally energizes the answer-giver.

    To answer your question if it took me less energy to write the same answer over again, than it would to direct the person to another thread, which often is the case for me, then I would probably just write the answer again. Why not? I like writing. If it is a short answer, I wouldn't even bother with getting a link up. If I really felt that an earlier answer would provide or provided a better answer than what I could write now, I would get the link and I would say "Look here, I think it may answer your question." I would NEVER tell them to search for it because it would be a waste of time, for me, for him/her, and it would not energize me to write something like that.

    Telling them to search for it is pristinely unhelpful. It is not a helping thing and it does not give energy, and because it does not give energy to say it, you also won't receive energy by saying it. I'm concerned about my energy levels. Such cynicism depletes you.

    Helping a person in a real way without btchn is the best way to get energy up. But if you don't get energy from it: why are you doing it?

    By all means, why are you doing it?. Is it not to be helpful? Or to actually HELP? If you feel the user is better helped by doing more work himself so you have to do less, that is NOT a measure of helping someone. If those questions are being asked repeatedly, then it is not a symptom of bad forum use, at the very most it is a symptom of bad documentation elsewhere.

    I would have the perfect patience to give the same answer 5 times, no problem. But then I haven't been doing this for years in what may seem (I don't know) a long and dreary way. I have no responsibilities here. If I stick around for 5 months daily then I still won't have become fed up. But I guess after that (or even before) it might be time for something else. I just don't stick around long enough to become tired about those things.

    For me it would be fun and it would stay fresh. If I hear you say that "what would you do" I feel like maybe you would need a nice treatment from somebody some day. Maybe a good massage. You know? Something like that. That is my impression.

    You don't know how good it is (or maybe you do) if another person actually does something for you. Just, unquestioningly. A service. Just some help. Someone who does something for free. Smearing your bread. Fetching something for you. Giving you a massage. Clearing up your room. Lifting something for you. It doesn't matter.

    We are led to believe we must do everything ourselves constantly. But if you have two people who do everything for themselves, and, .. themselves, or you have two people doing stuff for the other, gladly, helpfully, gratefully, willfilly, those latter two are much better off. If you never get help from anyone... you die.

    Giving help, receiving help. It is so pleasant.

    Real help, sincere help, not cynical help. It is so blissful.

    Someone who doesn't question your motives but just helps.

    Someone who doesn't say "can't you do that yourself?"

    Someone who sees your plight and moves in out of herself and does what is required.

    What is warranted, what is mandated. What is needed. No questions, direct understanding. That is bliss.

    For what it's worth, I am a chronic fatigue. I have been ill for 10 years living on my own but not having any help in doing so. You can't understand perhaps how pristinely divine it is when someone does a thing for me that I can't do myself without depleting myself further.

    Something nobody ever recognises, very few ever do. Not having to drag your weary body over the streets. I have to cry. Not having to drag your weary body over the streets in an attempt to obtain the necessary goods of survival once more, against your idea of what works for you, just to have some food on the table. In the end you would rather not eat, but the hunger drives you insane as well.

    I knew a girl in my university town who had the same experience. She had so little physical strength that often she could not get over bridges with her bike. She would ask bystanders to help her and they would just give her blank stares. Or ask her why she couldn't do it herself. But not in a friendly way. Refusing to help her because they thought she should do it on her own.

    Which she couldn't, not even if she waited a thousand years. Yes, maybe crawling. But then without the bike. The tilt was too much for her, the height.

    I am often told to get up and get moving but people rarely help. They help with their useless "advice". Just as "GIYF" is some piece of useless advice. Giving someone a google query even is useless advice/help, unless there are really some smart keywords in there, and even then you could just give the keywords and the person could do it himself. If there was something special about it. Sometimes "google <term>" would be helpful if the person didn't know < term >. "RTFM" is useless advice. People never use those terms anymore I believe, but still. If the manual was so good they would read it naturally. You have yourself to blame, mostly. Life just doesn't work that way, that you can command people to do it your way. It causes endless frustration in everyone. People always revert to their own way of doing things which is better for them.

    (Sometimes, often, I go to the relevant subforum and I go back a few pages to see if the topic already exists. But I quite never search, it is often almost pointless. After all, Google should index that goopile anyway.)

    Everyone who participates in this forum is a volunteer. We do it simply because we like programming (Java in particular) and like helping folks learn. But there are rules and guidelines which must be followed.
    Those rules and guidelines were devised by someone and now it has turned into an idea that people believe in. It didn't come falling out of the heavens and it was also not divine mandate and it was not ordered by god. You all think it is, because you treat it as an absolute.

    Most people who believe in rules and the sanctity of rules think they are absolutes, that it is an absolute. The people in law enforcement, in psychiatry, anybody who works for government thinks the rules are absolute and divine. They are equated with truth.

    Java Code:
    if (isRule()) {
        absoluteTruth = true;
    }
    People think, for instance, that if a judge ordains something or verdicts something, that that means you have to or you are supposed to. In the manner of speaking that it came down from above, from the highest. If a judge sentences you to jail, they will say that you are meant to be there. Judges think that as well. When they speak their verdict (which sentences someone to pain and suffering) they turn it into a holy moment to which all ears must turn and you can certainly not interrupt that, holy as it is. They act like everything they say will turn into concrete stone just by saying it. It is written into the books but they feel it is the books of God, that is how holy it is.

    But there are rules and guidelines which must be followed.
    Really? All I hear say is that there are people who want rules and guidelines to be followed. Maybe for good reasons, maybe not. And those reasons are important. And if those rules which explitify (new word) behaviours and punishments are insane (that is, not healthy) or disrespectful or mean or unheard of or vile then that makes those rules no more holy than they were before, which is not holy at all. And it is still about people who want certain things from other people for their own reasons.

    The rules don't exist they are all in your mind. You invented them, or someone did. Do you think the universe knows about your rules? Do you think god does? Do you think an animal does? Do you think that if a bird came flying through this forum, it would be aware of the "rules"? . But they will see people who want things. And that's the only truth of it. So you want things from me, apparently. You want me not to do certain things. Then say so.

    And if you have good reasons that'd be alright. But you don't. Not really.

    Oh sure, you have the one reason that covers all reasons. Here it comes.

    If we allowed that to happen, total chaos would ensue and everyone would start doing it.

    Great, you said it. You don't want me to say certain "bad" words (you termed them as such) because then everyone would start doing it and then it would all go to hell. This "doom scenario" is just an imagining in your head, because no one ever attempted it. Sure, there are situations and scenario's of "lawnessness" where rioters break through the defenses of police and control structures and turn back in violence against all the years and months and days and minutes of not having been allowed to do something and it comes out in full for as long as it lasts. And the repercussion may be great, the revealing and the revealment and the retricasting may be great. But if all "rules" were gone, order would restore itself. I would bet you on it. It is said that a highly evolved society needs very few rules to govern itself. In the end none at all. We can only conclude that we are not very highly advanced.

    So maybe if you took away the rules or broke the rules of not swearing (or whatever that you call it, there is a difference between different uses of the word) people would start doing it a lot and more than they otherwise would have.

    Most of the time one extreme turns into the other extreme before it finally settles in the middle. I am witnissing it again today, these days. In my life here.

    People never find the middle ground just at once. When they stop treating you badly, they go the other direction and treat you too nicely. Suddenly they go out of their way to please you too much. When people stop holding their tongue, they will suddenly swear too much. Swear a great lot, more than is needed.

    But it always balances itself and you don't believe in that apparently.

    So let's do it again. If we allowed that to happen, everyone would start doing it and ..... And what? Can you specify?

    What are actually the ill effects of bad words? Is that some sort of "richly detailed complex"? Is it some sort of "sophisticated understanding"?. Do you have some sort of successful theory, backed by daily experience, that shows how valid your statements are? Of course not. It is just primitive thinking.

    It's the kind of thinking and understanding that would be typified by Aristotles' knowledge of motion, but certainly not by Newton or Einstein. No one you ask that holds these opinions will be able to give you a rich, detailed understanding of why these words are forbidden. That should give you an indication that it is just primitive thought.

    I have never heard anything even mildly interesting in explaining these things. It is just rotten to the core. It is based on nothing, thin air.

    Truisms that are being repeated. Dogmas. You couldn't make a plane fly with that knowledge. It would crash to the ground, as our society is doing now.

    These understandings are not good enough to make our society fly.

    It will go crashing to the ground, probably burning too.

    ===========================
    I think I have said enough, almost. It's been lengthy.

    The pyramid of control that descends upon us is not divine. Judges are not gods, and it is not the highest. It is certainly not the highest, rather it is the lowest. Judges are corrupt to the core as they work only to inflict pain on people. I have witnessed it 3 times, or actually 4. You are prosecuted, in whatever form it takes, and if the judge considers it "proven" whatever was alledged to you, you are sentenced to some form of physical punishment, call it life destruction. Either you need to pay money, or you can't do a certain thing, or you will be locked up. Or anything else that is related to one of those things. Probably, most likely. And even if you are found "not guilty" then you are still at a place of pain. They don't say "guilty or innocent". They say "guilty or not guilty". You are seen as the guilty one whether you are convicted or not, because the police wouldn't pick you up if you were not already found guilty before it started. The prevalence of suicide is higher against the general population even in those who have been found not guilty after having been prosecuted. The prosecution itself eats you.

    And you don't get an apology.

    You don't get a recompensation. Well, maybe it can happen. It happens.

    And now you are here in this minor capacity of being "forum police" or a "moderator".

    And you have some important rule you have. I laugh at it, really.

    I have more important things in my life than rules. I have health, and God.

    And I don't care much, or at all, about what you say that the "rules" are. I care what you want from me. Because you are a person and you want something from me.

    You are not the harbinger and communicator of truth. You did not come to relay the most important message from beyond that everyone should listen to. K? K. You are a person, you have certain wants, you all just seem to agree with each other, fine.

    And when something like this is relevant, it is relevant as an argument. It is not something you can relay to a corner where it will have no relevance as "philosophy". Where it will just be a pleasantry, and a discussion that holds no merit apart from a few interesting souls.

    Mr. DB.

    But saying you can treat me badly because the rules say you can, is just utter nonsense. Because the rules say that I can't do a thing, is a reason to treat me like this? Nonsense. You are still responsible for what you do, rule or no rule. It is all in your mind, and I only care about the fact that you are a human being with a responsibility for what you do. You can't hide behind those precious rules of yours, as if some force from beyond is dictating what you do. "We have no choice, because we have to enforce the rules." Yeah right, lie to yourself, not me.

    The problem arises when they drag you across the street with bleeding knees because some rules say they have to and they are not about to listen to some reason right in that moment ;-) hahaha.

    But I told him in no uncertain terms that it was his responsibility, he just thought it was reason to not be envious of my position.

    All the same. I guess I am gaining some authority.

  5. #5
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    14,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    You talk too much and you don't make much sense.

    Jos
    Norm likes this.
    Build a wall around Donald Trump; I'll pay for it.

  6. #6
    gimbal2 is offline Just a guy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,114
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    Wall of text - TL;DR, I can only assume it was a gigantic rant.
    "Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." -- Alan Perlis

  7. #7
    jim829 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    6,226
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by gimbal2 View Post
    Wall of text - TL;DR"
    Well, since it was directed at me, let me provide the abridged version.

    Basically, I am a mean, hateful, jealous person who only participates in this forum to compete with others and boost his ego.

    I can only assume it was a gigantic rant.
    Yep. And as far as rants go it was quite magnificent.

    Regards,
    Jim
    The JavaTM Tutorials | SSCCE | Java Naming Conventions
    Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part

  8. #8
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    14,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by jim829 View Post
    Yep. And as far as rants go it was quite magnificent.
    You misspelled 'pathetic'; oh, you mean the size of that silly rant; if he does it one more time, I'm going to use my ban button (Darryl eat your heart out ;-) Xen most definitely is not going to end up with many friends here ...

    kind regards,

    Jos
    Build a wall around Donald Trump; I'll pay for it.

  9. #9
    gimbal2 is offline Just a guy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,114
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    Lets not let it go so far: Xen, just leave and keep pretending you're so wonderful. This planet is not big enough for you and one other person.
    "Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." -- Alan Perlis

  10. #10
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    14,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Moved from "not-unique keys in hashmap possible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by gimbal2 View Post
    Lets not let it go so far: Xen, just leave and keep pretending you're so wonderful. This planet is not big enough for you and one other person.
    While me, myself and I form a group of happy campers ;-)

    kindest regards,

    Jos, Jos and Jos
    Build a wall around Donald Trump; I'll pay for it.

Similar Threads

  1. not-unique keys in hashmap possible?
    By Maarten in forum New To Java
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-08-2015, 07:58 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM
  3. HashMap with multiple keys for single value
    By CodeX Pro in forum New To Java
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •