I tried to propose the following points for a sticky post, but the admins apparently didn't like it (for the life of me, I don't know why). My idea is to have a quick resume of the principal problems that the forum suffers. When a new poster enters the forum, the first post he/she would see would be this one and in one page would be able to see the suggested do's and dont's.
A second advantage would also to be able to reference a post that has the principal "problems" that new posters suffer from, instead of having to spell each one out to the poster (do this, don't do that, etc.)
This is what I propose for the sticky post:
Please observe the following points when posting to the Java forums (you will get help/answers faster):
- The forum WILL NOT do your homework for you. The forum will help you with specifics questons or problem that you have with your code
- Make the title of your post meaningful. "Problems writing to a file" is a lot more descriptive than "Help me... Urgent"
- When posting code, please wrap Code tags (third icon (#) from right to left) around yout code.
- Please don't describe your question/problem without the corresponding code. Always post your code (see previous bullet)
- Please avoid cross posting your question/problem across various forums. This just angers the people that want to help you. Find the most apropiate forum and post your question. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, then you can try another forum.
- If your program is displaying an error message, then include that error message in your post (this will help in diagnosting the problem).
- If your looking for an online tutorial, try: The Java™ Tutorials
- If you need help with phrasing/stating your question, try: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way