View Poll Results: What are you using to write your code?

Voters
4594. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wordpad

    29 0.63%
  • Notepad

    234 5.09%
  • Emacs

    16 0.35%
  • Gedit

    38 0.83%
  • JGrasp

    126 2.74%
  • Visual J#

    3 0.07%
  • Netbeans

    1,099 23.92%
  • IntelliJIDEA

    60 1.31%
  • Eclipse

    1,886 41.05%
  • JBuilder

    17 0.37%
  • BlueJ

    224 4.88%
  • DrJava

    98 2.13%
  • Adobe Dreamweaver

    9 0.20%
  • BBBEdit

    0 0%
  • JIPE

    1 0.02%
  • GEL

    1 0.02%
  • Vi/Vim

    40 0.87%
  • JCreator

    246 5.35%
  • TextPad

    122 2.66%
  • Other

    151 3.29%
  • Notepad++

    194 4.22%
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 997
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What are you using to write your code?

  1. #601
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gcalvin View Post
    Have you tried Eclipse?

    -Gary-
    I haven't actually.

    If it's anything like netbeans then i don't like it.

    I like RTP because it's lite and straight to the point.

  2. #602
    gcalvin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    953
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    I haven't actually.

    If it's anything like netbeans then i don't like it.

    I like RTP because it's lite and straight to the point.
    I would describe it more as "full-featured" than as "lightweight", but it's a good balance of simplicity and function, I think.

    -Gary-

  3. #603
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    It's still a good IDE though...
    i like it's editor, it's really good.
    If i need to use something not provided by Ready To Program, then i will use the .java file it creates and compile it elsewhere.
    Not the IDE lol. I'm talking about the Java version (JDK) you have using now.

  4. #604
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    If it's anything like netbeans then i don't like it.
    Oh, any reason not to use NetBeans? Actually NetBeans is the only IDE you need. :p

  5. #605
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eranga View Post
    Not the IDE lol. I'm talking about the Java version (JDK) you have using now.
    I have a newer version of JDK on my computer. This IDE just uses an older one when it compiles because this IDE isn't made anymore, company doesn't exist anymore.

  6. #606
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eranga View Post
    Oh, any reason not to use NetBeans? Actually NetBeans is the only IDE you need. :p
    because i prefer just a lite code window. i don't want to have the damn thing take 5 minutes to load up everytime i want to look at code.

  7. #607
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    I have a newer version of JDK on my computer. This IDE just uses an older one when it compiles because this IDE isn't made anymore, company doesn't exist anymore.
    Is it. So there is no option to configure the JDK version in that IDE? If not it's a bad design I think, see how many people may use it like you, and they have no choice after that.

  8. #608
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    No option.


  9. #609
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Then I've to say sorry. :(

    But I think that's also better touch any other IDE as well by you. Because it's not possible to use this IDE for a long run, since Suns' release new features regularly. Isn't it?

  10. #610
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The thing is when java releases new features it takes a long time before they actually get used. For the fact that not everyone has the newest version of java installed. You need to program assuming that it can be used by almost everyone.

  11. #611
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I'm not agreed with you. Industry really waiting for new features. Because very piece of change in the language have a real advantage.

  12. #612
    gcalvin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    953
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    The thing is when java releases new features it takes a long time before they actually get used. For the fact that not everyone has the newest version of java installed. You need to program assuming that it can be used by almost everyone.
    This is true, but Java 5 has been out since 2004, and Java 6 since 2006. There's very little reason not to be using at least Java 5, since it introduced many important new features to the language.

    -Gary-

  13. #613
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gcalvin View Post
    This is true, but Java 5 has been out since 2004, and Java 6 since 2006. There's very little reason not to be using at least Java 5, since it introduced many important new features to the language.

    -Gary-
    i'm going to be honest and say that i have not run into a situation where java 4 didn't have everything i need.

  14. #614
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    i'm going to be honest and say that i have not run into a situation where java 4 didn't have everything i need.
    Then what kind of thing you are doing with Java? Seems t me you are not working industry, still a student?

  15. #615
    Cruncher is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eranga View Post
    Then what kind of thing you are doing with Java? Seems t me you are not working industry, still a student?
    I made tetris last night lol.
    But yes i am currently in grade 12 computer science. Going to university next year for computer science.

  16. #616
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    I made tetris last night lol.
    But yes i am currently in grade 12 computer science. Going to university next year for computer science.
    Then you've to wait and see the miracle in Java soon lol. I'm sure after very few lectures in University you'll update to the latest version. ;)

  17. #617
    [RaIdEn] is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California,US
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    I made tetris last night lol.
    But yes i am currently in grade 12 computer science. Going to university next year for computer science.
    tetris is or event listeners or gui isnt the only thing in java.

    java is known for its portability in various devices its got various features.

    Lesson: All About Sockets (The Java™ Tutorials > Custom Networking) : Sockets

    Cryptology Java Cryptography Architecture (JCA)

    Java Applets.
    and many. ...its just a bunch of awesomeness trying to get into various devices .

    Maybe new features will be released, when its financially stable as it became Oracle's Sun

  18. #618
    vetim is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Eclipse it's the best :)

  19. #619
    JLubo is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Yes, Eclipse, me too. It's become my favourite IDE now and am using it also for programming in other languages, with the corresponding plugins of course.
    As I started learning Java at the university we used BlueJ in the very beginning which I find very good for learning purpose.

  20. #620
    pahiker's Avatar
    pahiker is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I work on a Mac, have never been crazy about DE's, so I stick to the basic. I use PageSpinner, an editing app that I mainly use for developing web sites (handles HTML, perl, CSS, JavaScript, etc.). So it's something I'm comfortable using, even though it is not, per se, a Java editor.

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to write onto a file
    By mirage_87 in forum New To Java
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
  3. How to write your own Comparator
    By Java Tip in forum java.lang
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. About bean:write
    By yuchuang in forum Web Frameworks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •