View Poll Results: What are you using to write your code?

Voters
4552. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wordpad

    29 0.64%
  • Notepad

    232 5.10%
  • Emacs

    16 0.35%
  • Gedit

    38 0.83%
  • JGrasp

    124 2.72%
  • Visual J#

    3 0.07%
  • Netbeans

    1,089 23.92%
  • IntelliJIDEA

    59 1.30%
  • Eclipse

    1,864 40.95%
  • JBuilder

    17 0.37%
  • BlueJ

    223 4.90%
  • DrJava

    98 2.15%
  • Adobe Dreamweaver

    9 0.20%
  • BBBEdit

    0 0%
  • JIPE

    1 0.02%
  • GEL

    1 0.02%
  • Vi/Vim

    40 0.88%
  • JCreator

    246 5.40%
  • TextPad

    122 2.68%
  • Other

    150 3.30%
  • Notepad++

    191 4.20%
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 991
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What are you using to write your code?

  1. #521
    tehhparadox is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm new to java programming, and I use notepad++, which is my favourite editor when writing php. However, I do realise this isn't the best editor to use for java, and I would appreciate some advice on it.. Having read this thread I think NetBeans would do the job. I know some people would recommend Eclipse, but that doesn't seem to work on my computer. Is there anything better than Netbeans?

  2. #522
    lilidoss is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    hello,
    for the moment i'm using net beans IDE : )

  3. #523
    jogep is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I use Eclipse for all of my Java and PHP Projects. Sometime for smaller stuff I also use Notepad++

  4. #524
    coltragon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i tried eclipse but i was confusing, so i downloaded netbeans and it is a ittle less confusing. When using netbeans IDE i create a new project i have to select main class, class, empty or things like that. I just want to c reate a java file like i always did in notepad++ how to do that?

  5. #525
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coltragon View Post
    i tried eclipse but i was confusing, so i downloaded netbeans and it is a ittle less confusing. When using netbeans IDE i create a new project i have to select main class, class, empty or things like that. I just want to c reate a java file like i always did in notepad++ how to do that?
    Dozens of technical authors worked on the extensive help system; you are just another proof that help texts aren't read; press F1 and start reading.

    kind regards,

    Jos

  6. #526
    coltragon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i did read them before posting, but you know what the help told me?
    it says: Choose the file template that fits the needs for your application.

  7. #527
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coltragon View Post
    i did read them before posting, but you know what the help told me?
    it says: Choose the file template that fits the needs for your application.
    Next to reading comes experimenting; I highly doubt if penguins will explode in your face or daemons will fly out of your nose when you press a wrong button or select a wrong option or whatever; experiment.

    kind regards,

    Jos

    ps. the 'empty class' option makes sense to me; try it.

  8. #528
    coltragon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i tried experiencing, i choose main class. but i was unsure if i could make more classes in the same file than. than i asked you, you told me to read the help.

  9. #529
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coltragon View Post
    i tried experiencing, i choose main class. but i was unsure if i could make more classes in the same file than. than i asked you, you told me to read the help.
    All public classes need to be stored in their own file anyway, no matter the IDE you're using and again: try it, it won't hurt; try to create two files and stick a public class in it; try to remove the 'public' classifier and try again and see what happens; playing with those things can be fun and you learn from it.

    kind regards,

    Jos

  10. #530
    coltragon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    when i store all the class files in the same directionary and refer in one file to the other class it worked. But only works with public as you said ;)

  11. #531
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coltragon View Post
    when i store all the class files in the same directionary and refer in one file to the other class it worked. But only works with public as you said ;)
    Good; I suspect it's time to study packages a bit; neither NetBeans nor Eclipse are too stupid not to understand them; there's a way to create a new package and create new classes in it. NetBeans or Eclipse will take care of the classpath and all. Have fun and remember: read and experiment.

    kind regards,

    Jos

  12. #532
    coltragon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You know? You've changed my way of learning, first I was trying to learn by reading as I do on school. But now I learn by experiencing and testing for learning java that works good for me.

    In netbeans when you create a main class it already makes the public static void main(string[] args). That's great. When your coding and something is wrong he shows an red ! Inmediatly. You can easier try until it's good in stead of compile it in dos evrytime

  13. #533
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coltragon View Post
    You know? You've changed my way of learning, first I was trying to learn by reading as I do on school. But now I learn by experiencing and testing for learning java that works good for me.

    In netbeans when you create a main class it already makes the public static void main(string[] args). That's great. When your coding and something is wrong he shows an red ! Inmediatly. You can easier try until it's good in stead of compile it in dos evrytime
    Yep; that's one part those IDEs can do for you: they (partly) compile the source text while you type; next to syntactical error checking a bit of semantic analysis is done and flags are raised when a failure occurs. I like that technology. IDEs also keep your source files organized: you create packages and classes and interfaces and your IDE takes care of the rest.

    But never forget to read first; only if you don't understand (part of) it: experiment until you do understand what that documentation is talking all about. It's a combination of theory and practice. Lots of people don't read and put the blame on their IDEs because they simply don't know how the darn thing works.

    kind regards, (and Merry Christmas)

    Jos

  14. #534
    gcampton Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tehhparadox View Post
    I'm new to java programming, and I use notepad++, which is my favourite editor when writing php. However, I do realise this isn't the best editor to use for java, and I would appreciate some advice on it.. Having read this thread I think NetBeans would do the job. I know some people would recommend Eclipse, but that doesn't seem to work on my computer. Is there anything better than Netbeans?
    I would suggest staying with notepad++ until you are familiar with the basic language, eg. java up to file IO, exception handling, arraylists, hashtables, treemaps etc. Then when you are ready to move on to GUI programming you can switch to either Eclipse or Netbeans as well, personally I have both installed and use both. I'm sure Eclipse works just fine on your computer, it's just your not competent enough to take the time to learn how to use it, and more importantly understand what is being taught. I think most people need some degree of understanding java before moving onto IDE's such as these, while some may use them from the get go and love it. I think for the general populous there is a good time to start, and that is once the basics are down pat.

    I found that when I tried Eclipse as I was just starting to learn java, even reading the manual left me very confused and I found it hard to pickup, but a couple months later once I was familiar with some of the basics it seemed very easy to pick up. 1-2 hours in fact.

    edit:
    If you would like a java text editor like notepad++ that has the added advantage of a compile/run button I suggest JCreator lite. (it's free but not open source).
    Works much like any editor, has syntax coloring, automatic brace completion, java api to view on editor, nice range of preferences to change coloring, tab preferences etc. But looks and feels much like a basic editor.
    Last edited by gcampton; 12-28-2009 at 03:29 PM.

  15. #535
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm using the ancient NetBeans. That's what our school is using. And it is very easy for me to use.

  16. #536
    Lil_Aziz1's Avatar
    Lil_Aziz1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Eclipse all the way ;)

  17. #537
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOnlineChurva View Post
    I'm using the ancient NetBeans. That's what our school is using. And it is very easy for me to use.
    Cool. So we have another NetBeans user. :):)

  18. #538
    tim's Avatar
    tim
    tim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOnlineChurva View Post
    I'm using the ancient NetBeans. That's what our school is using. And it is very easy for me to use.
    Yeay! Go Netbeans! :D I'm using 5.5. The new one's too heavy. :rolleyes: Heavy on resources, that is. ;)
    Eyes dwelling into the past are blind to what lies in the future. Step carefully.

  19. #539
    Eranga's Avatar
    Eranga is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Colombo, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    11,372
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I don't think 6.7 use much resources like 6.5 tim. Did you try that version in your pc? I'm using it in my desktop having 1GB ram, and working fine.

  20. #540
    adz
    adz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Yeay! Go Netbeans! :D I'm using 5.5. The new one's too heavy. :rolleyes: Heavy on resources, that is. ;)
    5.5 bugs with the latest jdk though which I'd assume either you don't use or you don't debug? :S

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to write onto a file
    By mirage_87 in forum New To Java
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
  3. How to write your own Comparator
    By Java Tip in forum java.lang
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. About bean:write
    By yuchuang in forum Web Frameworks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •