Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    towerz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Question pliz show me the light

    A simple question (i bet) about java that has always baffled me, why is it that you can create jar files, carry them in a flash drive or something then just paste them in another computer's directory and run them whereas some programs also written in java for example vuze have to be installed first before they can be run?

  2. #2
    Norm's Avatar
    Norm is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    17,513
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: pliz show me the light

    It would depend on what the application needs on the computer to be able to run.
    Or perhaps it is a poorly design program that doesn't know how to use a jar file.

  3. #3
    omerkhalid34 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: pliz show me the light

    the thing is jar files programs are a kind of dekstop application, they didn't need any installation. As you know java is machine or platform independent so that's why you just have to paste it in other computer directory and they run. but on the other hand the vuze is kind of applet. An applet is an application designed to be transmitted over the Internet and executed by a Java-compatible Web browser. An applet is actually a tiny Java program, dynamically downloaded across the network, just like an image, sound file, or video clip. The important difference is that an applet is an intelligent program, not just an animation or media file. In other words, an applet is a program that can react to user input and dynamically change—not just run the same animation or sound over and over

  4. #4
    DarrylBurke's Avatar
    DarrylBurke is online now Forum Police
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madgaon, Goa, India
    Posts
    11,298
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: pliz show me the light

    Quote Originally Posted by omerkhalid34 View Post
    the thing is jar files programs are a kind of dekstop application,
    No they aren't. A jar file is a Jave ARchive.

    Quote Originally Posted by omerkhalid34 View Post
    they didn't need any installation.
    Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by omerkhalid34 View Post
    As you know java is machine or platform independent
    Irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by omerkhalid34 View Post
    so that's why you just have to paste it in other computer directory and they run.
    Huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by omerkhalid34 View Post
    but on the other hand the vuze is kind of applet. An applet is an application designed to be transmitted over the Internet and executed by a Java-compatible Web browser. An applet is actually a tiny Java program, dynamically downloaded across the network, just like an image, sound file, or video clip. The important difference is that an applet is an intelligent program, not just an animation or media file. In other words, an applet is a program that can react to user input and dynamically change—not just run the same animation or sound over and over
    Searching the net for that irrelevant run on words yields more than 2000 hits, most of them exactly the same as what you have posted here.

    This is information that is available to all. I fail to see the point of copying and pasting it here, and even more so when it is considered that it does not in any way answer the question asked here.

    db
    If you're forever cleaning cobwebs, it's time to get rid of the spiders.

  5. #5
    DarrylBurke's Avatar
    DarrylBurke is online now Forum Police
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madgaon, Goa, India
    Posts
    11,298
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: pliz show me the light

    Quote Originally Posted by towerz View Post
    A simple question (i bet) about java that has always baffled me, why is it that you can create jar files, carry them in a flash drive or something then just paste them in another computer's directory and run them whereas some programs also written in java for example vuze have to be installed first before they can be run?
    A Java jar is executed by the Java runtime, which is already installed on the target computer.

    Some Java programs may use JNI/JNA (search the net), or for any other feature may require to install additional components. Such Java programs are commonly distributed in the form of an installer that places the component parts in a suitable folder hierarchy for access by the system.

    I haven't heard of vuze so I can't comment on the specific reason the program's developers opted to package it in an installer.

    db
    If you're forever cleaning cobwebs, it's time to get rid of the spiders.

  6. #6
    towerz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: pliz show me the light

    [QUOTE=DarrylBurke;258577]

    I haven't heard of vuze so I can't comment on the specific reason the program's developers opted to

    vuze is a bittorrent client, you may know it by its former name azerus. as for my question, i used NSIS to create an installer for my java program, it is a free program and works great.
    thanks guys

Similar Threads

  1. jpropel-light
    By java software in forum Java Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM
  5. netbeans 6.0 not show commpunent or show blank page
    By fahimaamir in forum NetBeans
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •