Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    loveCatz's Avatar
    loveCatz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Question What is the best JAVA compiler/IDE for Netbook

    I have Acer AspireOne D255 and want to code in JAVA.
    I already install Netbeans 6.5 there but I feel little upset.:cool:

    My screen is full filled by Netbeans' toolbar and many unused button (so far i start to learn JAVA programming).

    I thought there must be many small and fast Java compiler or IDE that will fit with my little Screen Size (1024x600).

    What is the best IDE compiler for netbook and Java beginner? :confused:

  2. #2
    KevinWorkman's Avatar
    KevinWorkman is offline Crazy Cat Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,690
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Why don't you just use a basic text editor and the command prompt? That's the best way to learn anyway.

  3. #3
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    Why don't you just use a basic text editor and the command prompt? That's the best way to learn anyway.
    Depending on your mindset this might be true. Personally I started this way and it became incredibly frustrating. Then I found a nice IDE. I really started enjoying learning SO much more. Whats the use of using the "best way to learn" if you end up giving up.

    But for that very reason of learning more, I feel now I care much more about learning the details. Before I just wanted to see how java worked and if I liked it. I have been thinking of working with a basic text editor occasionally to improve my actually recall ability. I do know the IDE has my back a lot, which means I miss out on that part sticking in my head.

    So yes I concur that a text editor is a better place to grow as a programmer, but and IDE is an excellent place to boost you into programming (if you are a newb). Keven can you see where I am coming from?

  4. #4
    KevinWorkman's Avatar
    KevinWorkman is offline Crazy Cat Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,690
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcousticBruce View Post
    So yes I concur that a text editor is a better place to grow as a programmer, but and IDE is an excellent place to boost you into programming (if you are a newb). Keven can you see where I am coming from?
    I suppose that's true, but I've also seen would-be developers crippled by over-reliance on IDEs. I once watched a guy "program" who couldn't write a single line of code by himself- he had to copy and paste from older programs and use the IDE's autocomplete feature instead.

    I used notepad for my first year of programming. Then I used JCreator (with autocomplete turned off) for the next 5 years. Only in the past 2 years or so have I started using an IDE (eclipse).

  5. #5
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Wow, I do not want to be that guy. There are other things that are good when learning also. When I am reading a book and there is a project, I read it over and process in my mind first. I make sure I understand it BEFORE i try to code it myself. When I am ready to code, I code it without looking back at the book to test my logical skills. Then if I am lost I go back to the book and take a peak at the code. Personally I love learning and testing myself.

    I tell you what though. You have inspired me to turn off auto-complete for and live-debugging (or whatever you call it) in IntelliJ IDEA.

    The main reason I like the IDE is for the instant compile and run, that is the MAIN reason.

  6. #6
    KevinWorkman's Avatar
    KevinWorkman is offline Crazy Cat Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,690
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I mean, your mileage may vary, and it could be that using all of the IDE's features actually helps you. I'm just speaking from what I've seen. I'm not an expert or anything.

    It could be that this is a "chicken or the egg" question. Was my guy a bad programmer because he relied too much on an IDE, or did he rely on the IDE too much because he was a bad programmer?

    I don't have the answer, but I am glad that I waited years before touching an IDE.

    OP- As you can already tell, people are going to disagree on which IDE is the best, or whether an IDE should even be used. Asking other people what you should use is like asking other people what you should eat for dinner (my vote goes to burritos)- we might give you a bunch of answers, but it really depends on your personal tastes and what you like or dislike.

  7. #7
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    I mean, your mileage may vary, and it could be that using all of the IDE's features actually helps you. I'm just speaking from what I've seen. I'm not an expert or anything.

    It could be that this is a "chicken or the egg" question. Was my guy a bad programmer because he relied too much on an IDE, or did he rely on the IDE too much because he was a bad programmer?

    I don't have the answer, but I am glad that I waited years before touching an IDE.

    OP- As you can already tell, people are going to disagree on which IDE is the best, or whether an IDE should even be used.


    I did like what you said before though. So I am currently figuring out how to turn off the auto features. I think it is good practice.




    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    ...

    Asking other people what you should use is like asking other people what you should eat for dinner (my vote goes to burritos)- we might give you a bunch of answers, but it really depends on your personal tastes and what you like or dislike.
    I'll take a burrito!

  8. #8
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Honestly now that I have just read a few articles on IDE vs Text editors.

    Oliver Steele The IDE Divide
    Beginner's Guide to Using an IDE Versus a Text Editor
    Using an IDE Versus a Text Editor

    I have realized that I do not really need or want all the features of my IDE (at least while i'm new). I do not use most of the features. I would never even think of creating a Swing environment with the IDE gui. How boring!

    But before I make any changes I am going to finish these beginner books.

  9. #9
    KevinWorkman's Avatar
    KevinWorkman is offline Crazy Cat Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,690
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcousticBruce View Post
    I would never even think of creating a Swing environment with the IDE gui. How boring!
    I absolutely agree with you, and almost all of the non-newbies would agree with you. But many newbies have the exact opposite attitude.

    This hurts them for a couple reasons- First, they aren't really learning Swing. And secondly, they're trying to learn two different things at once- how to program, and how to use the GUI builder. They're skipping quite a few important steps in the process.

Similar Threads

  1. So, Java Compiler
    By maknib in forum Forum Lobby
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 05:39 AM
  2. java compiler error
    By arshesander in forum New To Java
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 04:18 AM
  3. How to Set up my Java Compiler
    By Galore in forum New To Java
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
  4. The best compiler for java
    By baltimore in forum New To Java
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •