Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    There is an eclipse forum here. You should try that for questions with eclipse.
    The code looks fine to me. So I dont know.

    Really you might want to go to the library or purchase and get Head First into Java or Java in 24 hours. They are excellent for beginners- I am assuming you are new to programming or at least OOP?

    I have the same goal of making android apps. So I decided to just learn java on the computer and when I get basics down ill start messing with the android sdk - which eclipse or intellij will load up.

    Really though get your eclipse set up in the eclipse forum or search google on how to set it up.

  2. #22
    Lance87 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have an engineering degree already, and I only took 1 class of programming which was VB like 2 years ago, I had another class where we messed with the command prompt a bit, but other than that, no dice.

    BTW, my compiler fucked up again and I was in CMD the whole time, i'm just gonna mess with it later. I've got about 3 books i'm diving into atm but i'm still only about a day in. Fun stuff so far.

  3. #23
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Why are you using the command prompt if you are using eclipse?

  4. #24
    Lance87 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Mainly because I was trying to follow along with the book I was reading, and technically I'm not "using" eclipse yet, I just have it because I know I'm gonna need it later, lol.

  5. #25
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,519
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance87 View Post
    BTW, my compiler fucked up again
    Your compiler didn't fuck up, it just showed you where the errors were in your program; it's you who made the mistake(s), not the compiler. b.t.w. MS windows uses the \ character for a path separator (unix uses the forward /). Your path environment variable is simply a list of directories (not files) where the OS shell is supposed to search for executable files (such as javac.exe), so you have to store the path (directory) where your javac.exe file is stored in your path variable. Also the OS isn't psychic so making typos makes your OS fail to find executable files.

    kind regards,

    Jos
    cenosillicaphobia: the fear for an empty beer glass

  6. #26
    j2me64's Avatar
    j2me64 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    btw, is you change your path variable you must reopen your terminal window/console, otherwise your change will have no effect on the opened terminal.

  7. #27
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,519
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j2me64 View Post
    btw, is you change your path variable you must reopen your terminal window/console, otherwise your change will have no effect on the opened terminal.
    Yep, it always surprises me that beginning people implicitly assume so many 'push operations' (without even knowing it); e.g. they change an environment variable and assume that any running shell or whatever automagically take over those new values. That would be a total mess ...

    kind regards,

    Jos
    cenosillicaphobia: the fear for an empty beer glass

  8. #28
    ajaay's Avatar
    ajaay is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance87 View Post
    the "^" is supposed to be pointed at the period between "out" and "printIn"...
    This seems to have capital I rather than l. The method is println(). Its possible that u might have mistaken from the book or it is given wrong in the post.

  9. #29
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JosAH View Post
    Yep, it always surprises me that beginning people implicitly assume so many 'push operations' (without even knowing it); e.g. they change an environment variable and assume that any running shell or whatever automagically take over those new values. That would be a total mess ...

    Haha.. why is that surprising. If you are a newb, it only makes sense that you wouldnt understand that. I definitely didn't know that. But now I know and I will have someone close the command window and reopen it next time. :)


    Quote Originally Posted by ajaay View Post
    This seems to have capital I rather than l. The method is println(). Its possible that u might have mistaken from the book or it is given wrong in the post.

    Very good eye :)




    So that seems like a an error that can easily happen and probably will happen a lot when coding. Thats why an IDE is so awesome, the one i use turns red if it senses a problem.


    Now I wonder this, because it catches my mistakes and typos. Is this a good thing for learning? As of right now, I cant imagine having the patience for notepad and command prompt.
    Last edited by AcousticBruce; 12-20-2010 at 07:12 PM.

  10. #30
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,519
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcousticBruce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JosAH View Post
    Yep, it always surprises me that beginning people implicitly assume so many 'push operations' (without even knowing it); e.g. they change an environment variable and assume that any running shell or whatever automagically take over those new values. That would be a total mess ...

    Haha.. why is that surprising. If you are a newb, it only makes sense that you wouldnt understand that. I definitely didn't know that. But now I know and I will have someone close the command window and reopen it next time. :)
    It only surprised me that if people know (almost) nothing about computers they almost consistently assume that a computer operating system uses 'push operations' (like the propagation of environment variables). Those people don't know anything about those machines so why do they assume exactly that? They could as well have assumed that their computer system starts to smell funny or makes penguins explode or whatever.

    kind regards,

    Jos
    cenosillicaphobia: the fear for an empty beer glass

  11. #31
    Lance87 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajaay View Post
    This seems to have capital I rather than l. The method is println(). Its possible that u might have mistaken from the book or it is given wrong in the post.
    I ended up catching this when I went back through the book, the one i'm reading had a pic of the code, and is on an e-reader so I couldn't tell from that, but when I looked that method up somewhere else, I was all "well damn..."

    Good eye!

    Quote Originally Posted by JosAH View Post
    Your compiler didn't fuck up, it just showed you where the errors were in your program; it's you who made the mistake(s), not the compiler. b.t.w. MS windows uses the \ character for a path separator (unix uses the forward /). Your path environment variable is simply a list of directories (not files) where the OS shell is supposed to search for executable files (such as javac.exe), so you have to store the path (directory) where your javac.exe file is stored in your path variable. Also the OS isn't psychic so making typos makes your OS fail to find executable files.

    kind regards,

    Jos
    I didn't know before that I had to close the window for changes to take affect, so at one point I had the Path correct, then closed the cmd later and it was working, probably changed it again before I realized it was working but still had the CMD open from before, if that statement makes sense. Either, it was the compiler that gave me the same "not recognized error" when I said my compiler fucked up again, the JVM/interpreter was working fine because I still had my CLASS file from the brief period where I had the compiler working, the syntax was just off because of the "I" instead of lowercase "L."

  12. #32
    AcousticBruce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance87 View Post
    GOT IT!

    Under "Variable Value" I had "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin", but it needed to be "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\javac.exe"

    Now that you know about the variable issue. You might want to change your PATH back to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\" instead of "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\javac.exe" :D

    I guess you just have to close the command prompt and reopen.
    BTW if you make it "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\" it includes all the exe files within the bin folder. Otherwise you only have javac.exe

  13. #33
    Lance87 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Appreciate the feedback, although some of it is somewhat snark, I love it =)

  14. #34
    Lance87 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcousticBruce View Post
    Now that you know about the variable issue. You might want to change your PATH back to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\" instead of "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\javac.exe" :D

    I guess you just have to close the command prompt and reopen.
    BTW if you make it "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin\" it includes all the exe files within the bin folder. Otherwise you only have javac.exe
    Yea, I did that today after I got back to this thread, worked immediately!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 'javac' is not recognized as an internal command
    By Infected_ in forum New To Java
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 03:04 AM
  2. javac is not recognized command...
    By javastudent87 in forum New To Java
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 05:50 AM
  3. Javac not recognized
    By OscarLiu in forum New To Java
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
  4. Javac is not recognized?
    By Java idiot in forum New To Java
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
  5. javac command not recognized
    By sunshine39 in forum New To Java
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •