Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    saketh321 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default trying to bypass activation

    Hi,
    I am by no means a developer but i do have a question regarding by-passing the activation because i just bought a AT&T pixi and am planning on using it unlocked, and for it to be used unlocked it needs to be in developer mode. So i am following all of the instructions just listed on the palm website Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center
    (installed java, sdk and pdk, virtual box). So whenever i try to run "java -jre devicetool.jar in the command prompt in windows, it says unable to open jarfile.

    I have made sure the path in system variables is set to java as well. I am running a windows 7 64 bit, but i installed 32 bit java and 32 bit sdk.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Norm's Avatar
    Norm is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eastern Florida
    Posts
    17,556
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Can you copy and post the full text of the error message here?
    If your on windows open a command prompt and issue the java command

    To copy the contents of the command prompt window:
    Click on Icon in upper left corner
    Select Edit
    Select 'Select All' - The selection will show
    Click in upper left again
    Select Edit and click 'Copy'

    Paste here.

    Try opening the jar file as a zip file and see what is in it.

  3. #3
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,648
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saketh321 View Post
    So whenever i try to run "java -jre devicetool.jar
    The docs say that you have to run: "java -jar devicetool.jar".

    kind regards,

    Jos

  4. #4
    saketh321 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Can you copy and post the full text of the error message here?
    If your on windows open a command prompt and issue the java command

    To copy the contents of the command prompt window:
    Click on Icon in upper left corner
    Select Edit
    Select 'Select All' - The selection will show
    Click in upper left again
    Select Edit and click 'Copy'

    Paste here.

    Try opening the jar file as a zip file and see what is in it.
    "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Users\Saketh>java -jar devicetool.jar
    Unable to access jarfile devicetool.jar

    C:\Users\Saketh>:"

    When i open the file as a zip file, it has 3 different folders in it and 2 of them have more sub folders along with some class files and 1 of the has a manifest.mf file.

  5. #5
    saketh321 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JosAH View Post
    The docs say that you have to run: "java -jar devicetool.jar".

    kind regards,

    Jos
    Thanks for the reply Joe. I dont know why i typed it wrong but i did indeed use jar and not jre... i have been reading so many posts regarding that, i must have typed it wrong.

  6. #6
    Norm's Avatar
    Norm is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eastern Florida
    Posts
    17,556
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Is the devicetool.jar file in the folder where you issued the java command?
    Here is what I see when I issue a java -jar command without a jar file present:
    Java Code:
    D:\Testing>dir *.jar
     Volume in drive D is Work
     Volume Serial Number is 1463-F5AE
    
     Directory of D:\Testing
    
    05/26/2010  08:45 PM            65,044 bmi.jar
    10/17/2001  03:54 AM         1,891,692 java40.jar
                   2 File(s)      1,956,736 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)   8,747,765,760 bytes free
    
    D:\Testing>java -jar asdf.jar
    Unable to access jarfile asdf.jar
    
    D:\Testing>
    Make sure the devicetool.jar file is in the current folder when you issue the java command.

  7. #7
    saketh321 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Is the devicetool.jar file in the folder where you issued the java command?
    Here is what I see when I issue a java -jar command without a jar file present:
    Java Code:
    D:\Testing>dir *.jar
     Volume in drive D is Work
     Volume Serial Number is 1463-F5AE
    
     Directory of D:\Testing
    
    05/26/2010  08:45 PM            65,044 bmi.jar
    10/17/2001  03:54 AM         1,891,692 java40.jar
                   2 File(s)      1,956,736 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)   8,747,765,760 bytes free
    
    D:\Testing>java -jar asdf.jar
    Unable to access jarfile asdf.jar
    
    D:\Testing>
    Make sure the devicetool.jar file is in the current folder when you issue the java command.
    hmm not really following you there... as in what exactly do you mean current folder? i just downloaded the file provided in the link to the desktop and it showed up as a jar file... Do you mean typing out the full location of the file as well in the command line?

  8. #8
    Norm's Avatar
    Norm is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eastern Florida
    Posts
    17,556
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    In my post, the current folder is: D:\Testing

    Redo your test. Before entering the java -jar command, enter this command:
    dir
    It will show the files that are in the "current folder".
    If the file devicetool.jar is not there, then you need to change folders until it is.
    Use the cd command to change folders.
    use the dir command to see what is in the current folder.

    downloaded the file provided in the link to the desktop
    You need to copy/move the jar file to the same folder that is the 'current folder' when you open the command prompt.
    Or move the command prompt's current folder to the desktop.

  9. #9
    saketh321 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    In my post, the current folder is: D:\Testing

    Redo your test. Before entering the java -jar command, enter this command:
    dir
    It will show the files that are in the "current folder".
    If the file devicetool.jar is not there, then you need to change folders until it is.
    Use the cd command to change folders.
    use the dir command to see what is in the current folder.


    You need to copy/move the jar file to the same folder that is the 'current folder' when you open the command prompt.
    Or move the command prompt's current folder to the desktop.
    Damn thank you so much buddy... you totally saved my from bashing my head against the wall.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM
  2. Trying to bypass proxy
    By dipanshu.agrawal in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 02:46 PM
  3. Menu item activation in struts2+tiles project
    By aruna.hcu in forum Web Frameworks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
  4. [SOLVED] Activation Frame
    By Mir in forum New To Java
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •