Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    katon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Unhappy what is java logically as opposed to syntactically

    What do u mean by...you should know java logically and syntactically.... your reply would be of great help....any googled links out there on this?

    Probably searching the wrong key words here:(

  2. #2
    collin389 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    You should know the logic behind what each command does, as well as what the compiler wants in the code.
    the logic of an if statement would be: if a is equal to b then do c, otherwise, do d
    syntactically it would be: if (a == b) { c; } else { d; }

  3. #3
    katon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    by logic u mean an understanding of the code...that i do.....i understand the logic of the syntax-ie the sequence of code operation.....but what of what the compiler wants...pls explain what that means ....:eek:

    if u do have any googled links it would be very helpful:cool:
    thx

  4. #4
    collin389 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    syntax is like knowing what you have to actually type in order to make a program do what you want logically. The syntax includes having to type all the braces {} and semicolons ; and knowing that in order you make a method you have to have the return type and that the parameters go inside the () etc...

  5. #5
    katon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by collin389 View Post
    syntax is like knowing what you have to actually type in order to make a program do what you want logically. The syntax includes having to type all the braces {} and semicolons ; and knowing that in order you make a method you have to have the return type and that the parameters go inside the () etc...
    is this a simplistic answer?? any ideas of any links on the web on this subject?

    What do u mean by "as well as what the compiler wants in the code"?

    Thx

  6. #6
    Crapman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Syntactically means being able to write and compile the code.
    Syntax error means being unable to compile a code.

    Logically means to understand what the code does.
    Logic error means to be able to compile but the program is unable to work like how u want it to.

  7. #7
    katon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crapman View Post
    Syntactically means being able to write and compile the code.
    Syntax error means being unable to compile a code.

    Logically means to understand what the code does.
    Logic error means to be able to compile but the program is unable to work like how u want it to.
    Basically Im going to do a masters course and they have said asked me to
    "get your hands on java perfectly,just not syntactically but logically"

    any key words I can use on google to read up on this? how can I prepare for this? Any information you've got would be helpful.
    Thx for the reply

  8. #8
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,352
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katon View Post
    Basically Im going to do a masters course and they have said asked me to
    "get your hands on java perfectly,just not syntactically but logically"

    any key words I can use on google to read up on this? how can I prepare for this? Any information you've got would be helpful.
    Thx for the reply
    The word here is 'semantics' which means the meaning of statements, expressions and definitons in Java. The authoritative text on this is the Java Language Specification (JLS); it is a lawyer-text on the language (syntax) and its meaning (semantics).

    kind regards,

    Jos

  9. #9
    katon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    in case im being ambiguous......i now understand what logic error is ...but what course of action should I take to satisfy this:

    "get your hands on java perfectly,just not syntactically but logically"

    I mean, how can I prepare for this?:confused:

  10. #10
    katon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JosAH View Post
    The word here is 'semantics' which means the meaning of statements, expressions and definitons in Java. The authoritative text on this is the Java Language Specification (JLS); it is a lawyer-text on the language (syntax) and its meaning (semantics).

    kind regards,

    Jos
    Thanks for the reply I am looking into JLS...

    but what course of action should I take to satisfy this:

    "get your hands on java perfectly,just not syntactically but logically"

    I mean, how can I prepare for this?:confused:

    i apologise for being repetitive

  11. #11
    Tolls is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,817
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    If you read and understand the JLS, and also know Java syntax and structure, I doubt you'll have a problem.

    I can't think what else they could actually mean.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •