story of a robot who needs video streaming...
(I'm not an English native speaker!)
I've seen someone got two toy cars, made a wireless connection and video broadcasting from his web camera so that people could open his web site and play with cars which where at his home on the table.
I managed to make something similar. In first try I built a toy car and a point to point client server that facilitated the robot commanding via internet. This is his photo:
After playing enough came board enough! Now I want more :D The next project was to make the toy more complex and go cloud computing a little bit.
I came up with a new toy configuration:
First passed some tutorials on XMPP and set up a google app engine free account.
The primary try was limited to only one person being able to command the bot. This time I'd like to broadcast finally the web camera and the way that many people could brows and see the live video from a web site, while one person gets the control and command the bot. Others who are willing to get the control will stay on the waiting list.
Here comes the gap: I don't know how to implement video streaming, this is my first try!
The configuration I'm imagining now:
1. A PC with web camera has the java server, broadcasting the web camera
2. stream goes only to my google apps engine
3. clients get service from google apps engine, my account, which will be served on a web site as google apps has this facility like:
This is my abstract imagination. I think may be to use the XMPP as the protocol from google apps engine program, but I have only experience with simple chat. One option is to read documentation of Google Talk and implement its service for that side.
The other two fundamental questions I have:
1. where is a simple tutorial with java web camera video streaming? googling didn't gave the easy way to try an implementation. I found about JMF, but I think I found old info and there are better new ways?
2. if one point is the java server on my machine and the next point is google apps engine, what are best technologies to use so that video stream to google apps account and from there any user could connect (via XMPP?) and get the video ok, without too much frame lost, etc.?
If possible please point me to good resources you know and give kind comments.
Toy creator :D