Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Beginners Database thread
- 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM #1Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2010
- london UK
- Rep Power
Beginners Database thread
I am trying to include an (Sql) database in a program of mine.
I was thinking to use Apache Derby (because it is free and can be embedded) and now have the following (very basic Questions)
It is all for a single user database. that (for the moment) the program makes, fills, works with and at the end removes. Maybe later i want the program to save the database and be able to start with the previous saved database, but it will always only be used by the program)
I use Java 6SE/ Netbeans 6.9.1
my first list of beginners questions are: (and i hope they are not to dumb)
1) I read that derby can create a new database, but how can i tell him how to call it and where (in which folder) to save it. (and what is the extension i should give it)
2) How do i tell derby the different tables to make?
3) i have 2 tables that have the same stucture, can i copy the structure from one table to another (given that both tables are empty at that point)
4) is an unique key just handy or is it prescribed?
5) Indexes: Do tables need indexes and so they have to be unique?
( in a table there are numbers p and q and the combination p,q is unique but not the numbers p and q individual)
Are there better alternatives to Apache Derby? (but i want it to be embedded)
- By makpandian in forum Java ServletReplies: 6Last Post: 03-07-2010, 10:11 PM
- By mbezel in forum New To JavaReplies: 1Last Post: 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
- By hardiks21 in forum Java 2DReplies: 2Last Post: 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
- By DanK in forum New To JavaReplies: 6Last Post: 12-15-2008, 06:02 AM