Answering my own question
First let me say thanks for your help.
Maybe someone else out there is having this problem and this will help them too.
Apparrently The file extension .JTF is now being used by other programs for images.
I think the current versions of Java are looking for images hence the file reading error.
I changed the file extension for the .JTF file to .txt and now the applet works fine.
Even IE won't open the JTF file because it thinks it is looking for an image too but it will find the txt file.
I think when Hardwired said "I'm unable to find your file "abcgetem.JTF"" I got on the the right track to solving the problem.
Some times banging your head against the wall does work.