Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    crunchor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linux?

    I know there may be no perfect objective answer for this, but did someone create benchmark like this? Or around how much different should I expect? The computer hardware is pretty good in these years, then there is not much different now? I main concern is a program that mainly purely a lot of calculation in a lot of data in array with no graphic except a very basic swing gui as control panel. If we have the same hardware and same java code for the calculation program, what difference should that be?
    Last edited by crunchor; 07-01-2013 at 04:28 AM.

  2. #2
    The Craw's Avatar
    The Craw is offline Chief Pill
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    I'm not an expert, but I should think a Java program should run pretty much the same across different operating systems because it runs through the same JVM. Like you said, hardware is probably the biggest variable in the speed at which an application runs.

    Also the blanket term "Linux" doesn't go well, as there are many different distributions that run faster and slower, especially if you have limited RAM.

  3. #3
    crunchor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by The Craw View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I should think a Java program should run pretty much the same across different operating systems because it runs through the same JVM. Like you said, hardware is probably the biggest variable in the speed at which an application runs.

    Also the blanket term "Linux" doesn't go well, as there are many different distributions that run faster and slower, especially if you have limited RAM.
    Let's say the hardware is the latest intel I5 (not overcloced kind), and ram is 16GM.

    I find out this testing result:
    Onur Gumus's Blog: C# versus C++ versus Java performance comparison
    this test was done in 2009, and I agree this result makes sense for like 4 years ago. But now we have windows 7, 8 with true 64 bits, jvm has went through many updated, so I guess the speed different is very limited and may be hard to tell which is actually faster with the latest hardware and two OS.

  4. #4
    gimbal2 is offline Just a guy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,079
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Execution speed is a terrible reason to choose a platform anyway and in my opinion "c++ VS C# VS Java" comparisons are the product of not getting the point at all. You'll want to focus on development and deployment ease, security and support. Something which took me two months to build and debug using C++ (5 years experience) took me two weeks to build and debug using Java (1 year experience at that time); disregarding the fact that during the C++ development cycle I spent more time on actual application design, it made me drop C++ like a bucket of bricks and I haven't looked back since.

    C#/.NET I imagine has similar metrics to Java, I'm just not in the market to wield two very similar hammers at the moment so I haven't given it much thought. It was chance that made me join the Java camp, not choice.

  5. #5
    JosAH's Avatar
    JosAH is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Voorschoten, the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,651
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by gimbal2 View Post
    Something which took me two months to build and debug using C++ (5 years experience) took me two weeks to build and debug using Java (1 year experience at that time); disregarding the fact that during the C++ development cycle I spent more time on actual application design, it made me drop C++ like a bucket of bricks and I haven't looked back since.
    If you use C++ you never pass the development cycle; there are so many nitty-gritty details in that behemoth of a language ... you're always doomed to forget at least one of them and then it shoots you in the back ;-)

    kind regards,

    Jos
    Last edited by JosAH; 07-01-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: silly typo
    cenosillicaphobia: the fear for an empty beer glass

  6. #6
    gimbal2 is offline Just a guy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,079
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Well that's a matter of experience :) There are plenty of people who wield C++ like a magic hammer, but it takes considerable time and effort to develop the experience and knowledge that deals with all the language fluff; I'd rather spend time getting good at building maintainable applications, not at writing epic and faultless C++ code.

  7. #7
    crunchor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by gimbal2 View Post
    Well that's a matter of experience :) There are plenty of people who wield C++ like a magic hammer, but it takes considerable time and effort to develop the experience and knowledge that deals with all the language fluff; I'd rather spend time getting good at building maintainable applications, not at writing epic and faultless C++ code.
    When little performance gain really matter like HFT, the time unit is counted in nano second, then the speed different between java and c++ matter.

  8. #8
    crunchor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    I find out this link:
    Java Performance On Various Platforms
    look like a fair updated comparison.

  9. #9
    gimbal2 is offline Just a guy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,079
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by crunchor View Post
    When little performance gain really matter like HFT, the time unit is counted in nano second, then the speed different between java and c++ matter.
    It doesn't help you to toss around abbreviations, not everyone is going to know what HFT is. Of course there are always borderline cases where only a certain platform will apply; but speed comparisons are generalized cases, not specific cases. This is not a fair argument to make in the context of this thread, unless high frequency trading was the reason to post this all along in which case you should have provided that information a lot sooner and people would have had a chance to adapt their responses accordingly.

    If you would pose me with the question: would you use Java to build an application to support HFT - my answer in that specific case would be no; you could generalize that question further to would you use a virtual machine platform (which includes .NET): again no.

    Now if it were to develop a heavy duty financial application that is concurrently used by hundreds of people and software systems simultaneously and hits one or more databases very hard and very frequently: hell yes I'm using Java!

    Quote Originally Posted by crunchor View Post
    I find out this link:
    Java Performance On Various Platforms
    look like a fair updated comparison.
    That's an interesting link, up to a point. Its a lot of statistics with no real base to them other than "we ran a test, a number came out". Basically what you can read from it is: use any Java 7 implementation for best results, stay away from old crud :) I could have told you that without doing the benchmarks, its just common sense.

  10. #10
    crunchor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by gimbal2 View Post
    It doesn't help you to toss around abbreviations, not everyone is going to know what HFT is. Of course there are always borderline cases where only a certain platform will apply; but speed comparisons are generalized cases, not specific cases. This is not a fair argument to make in the context of this thread, unless high frequency trading was the reason to post this all along in which case you should have provided that information a lot sooner and people would have had a chance to adapt their responses accordingly.

    If you would pose me with the question: would you use Java to build an application to support HFT - my answer in that specific case would be no; you could generalize that question further to would you use a virtual machine platform (which includes .NET): again no.

    Now if it were to develop a heavy duty financial application that is concurrently used by hundreds of people and software systems simultaneously and hits one or more databases very hard and very frequently: hell yes I'm using Java!



    That's an interesting link, up to a point. Its a lot of statistics with no real base to them other than "we ran a test, a number came out". Basically what you can read from it is: use any Java 7 implementation for best results, stay away from old crud :) I could have told you that without doing the benchmarks, its just common sense.
    I just tried to tell you that there is case when c++ is used in instead of Java, and you should not believe Java can just do everything.

  11. #11
    DarrylBurke's Avatar
    DarrylBurke is offline Forum Police
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madgaon, Goa, India
    Posts
    11,404
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Moved from New to Java for better topic alignment.

    db
    If you're forever cleaning cobwebs, it's time to get rid of the spiders.

  12. #12
    DarrylBurke's Avatar
    DarrylBurke is offline Forum Police
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madgaon, Goa, India
    Posts
    11,404
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by crunchor View Post
    I just tried to tell you that there is case when c++ is used in instead of Java, and you should not believe Java can just do everything.
    You don't seem to be reading the responses.

    db
    If you're forever cleaning cobwebs, it's time to get rid of the spiders.

  13. #13
    crunchor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Quote Originally Posted by gimbal2 View Post
    It doesn't help you to toss around abbreviations, not everyone is going to know what HFT is. Of course there are always borderline cases where only a certain platform will apply; but speed comparisons are generalized cases, not specific cases. This is not a fair argument to make in the context of this thread, unless high frequency trading was the reason to post this all along in which case you should have provided that information a lot sooner and people would have had a chance to adapt their responses accordingly.

    If you would pose me with the question: would you use Java to build an application to support HFT - my answer in that specific case would be no; you could generalize that question further to would you use a virtual machine platform (which includes .NET): again no.

    Now if it were to develop a heavy duty financial application that is concurrently used by hundreds of people and software systems simultaneously and hits one or more databases very hard and very frequently: hell yes I'm using Java!



    That's an interesting link, up to a point. Its a lot of statistics with no real base to them other than "we ran a test, a number came out". Basically what you can read from it is: use any Java 7 implementation for best results, stay away from old crud :) I could have told you that without doing the benchmarks, its just common sense.
    These stats are pretty useful and the website is from a gov department.

  14. #14
    gimbal2 is offline Just a guy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,079
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What would be the speed different for java calculation program in windows vs linu

    Yeah. I wish you good luck with your further adventures.

Similar Threads

  1. Classes like Linux but not Windows 7?
    By QNinja in forum Java Applets
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
  2. ObjectInputStream() for Linux and Windows
    By eh1476 in forum Threads and Synchronization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 09:52 PM
  3. One program for both Windows and Linux
    By satimis in forum New To Java
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
  4. Errors running app in linux but not in Windows
    By JohnST in forum New To Java
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 01:58 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 04:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •