log4j – Introduction
by, 07-07-2012 at 07:34 PM (1326 Views)
Log4J is a Java based API that provides a logging framework which is:
The Apache software License provides the Log4J distribution. It has been also ported to following different languages:
Following are the core features and functionalities of Log4J Framework:
• It is configurable at runtime using files.
• It defines the log levels and priorities.
• It supports logging to following:
o Unix Syslog
The Log4J Framework has following 3 major components:
1. Loggers: The logging information is collected by the loggers.
2. Appenders: They are responsible for publishing logs on the destinations as defined previously.
3. Layouts: They are used for log formatting.
Following are the advantages of logging:
• The software development considers the loggings as its integral part.
• It supports fast debugging and tracking of issues.
• It supports structured and maintainable information storage.
Following are the disadvantages of logging:
• Slow down the application processing in some cases.