Becoming a better programmer.
Alright, I've just completed my biggest software project ever. The problem is, its not that good. Let me tell you what its all about first:
The goal is to create a horse racing predictor.
1. User enters the details for a race (in Australia)
2. The software downloads an HTML file from a website (virtualformguide.com). That HTML file contains the results for a specific horse.
3. The software then scrapes the HTML file of important statistics.
4. Loads the statistics into a database.
5. The user can then view the horses statistics.
No prediction is made.
To give you a better idea of how this things works I've attatched it to this post, please change the file extension from .zip to .rar
Some things I want to do:
- Provide a progress bar so the user can see whats going on
- Eliminate the need for a user to input the race details, instead have the software capture the race details itself.
- Create some code to determine which horse wins the race (doesn't have to work perfectly, not even slightly perfectly)
- Create some code to simulate a betting strategy. So if a user were to take the software advise would he profit/lose money.
I've got a lot of free time now, at least three months and will be working on this quite a lot. Any suggestions, criticisms, or any feedback is fine. Don't hold back, I wont take any insults personally.